Wednesday, January 9, 2013

I suffered a major loss today, if I had to give a eulogy right this second then it would sound like this.

Throughout my life I have had the distinct good fortune and pleasure of having three fathers.  Each had his own special way of mentoring me and making me the person who I am today.  When I was sixteen I lost the first, now that I am twenty-four I have lost a second.  Losing a father, as some of you know, and the rest of you may expect... is quite difficult.  We tend to focus on what could have been, or what we have lost.  I would like to take this time, this time right now, to celebrate all the great memories that I have shared with these men.

My Uncle was a key facet of my formative years and again came to prominence more recently.  Many of the things that I do and enjoy now are a direct impression of the very same things that he did and enjoyed.  Recently, we had gotten into the habit of having dinner together each weekend, and when we could seeing each other during the week.  Neither of us really had anyone to talk about nerdy things with, like programming languages or polystyrene gasification. Those moments were those that we sought to be ourselves in good company.  In fact, I was very excited when I purchased my plane ticket for Friday morning to come home, awaiting our next lunch together which surely would have been the next day.  I don't want you to feel bad for what I missed out on, but happy that I had someone to spend all of those weekends with.  I will miss it, and I will cherish those memories.

I wouldn't be able to give this speech, I wouldn't be able to form the words.  Writing it here, however, as a purely selfish act has helped me.  Thank you for your time and consideration.  Please be sure to steal moments with the people you know and love so that you too have something to celebrate.

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry for your acute loss. Please accept my condolences and sincere best wishes.

    ReplyDelete